Brunel’s railway town – now a marina.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel chose Neyland as the terminus for his South Wales Railway, but this was transferred to Fishguard in 1906, which led to the decline of this town on the tributary stream of the Cleddau opposite Pembroke Dock.
Neyland continued as a railway working centre and had a fishing fleet, but is now somewhat revived as a busy marina for pleasure craft. This new marina opened in 1985 and is scenically situated under the Cleddau Bridge and is called Brunel Quay. It is a pleasant place to meander and take some time watching the boating activity and enjoy a cuppa in the waterfront cafe.
The marina has two basins – Upper and Lower – the latter is a haven for swans, herons and kingfishers. From here you can walk along the disused railway track through the nature reserve of Westfield Pill all the way to Rosemarket. Bike hire is also available and there is a circular cycle route of 14 miles.